Sunday, September 9, 2012

Halloween with Matt Nathanson

On Halloween 2008, I experienced Trick or Treat in an unusual way.

I went to San Francisco to attend a free show
that a local radio station [Alice 97.3] was putting on.
The first 100 people there also got a free CD and if you know me,
I can't say no to free, so I made sure to get there early.
The line was longer than I expected when I arrived,
but I still scored a free CD.

As I was walking across the street to get to the club, Ruby Skye,
I noticed someone else nearby crossing the street.
I looked again and thought, "Is it?"

When I entered the club, I noticed it was rather dark and
that there were steps to walk down.
I was deliberately looking down at the ground because of that,
but it didn't make a difference.
I thought I was on the last step, but I wasn't and...thud...down I went!

Luckily for me, there was only one witness to my fall.
[Because it wasn't pretty!]
The guy came over to see if I was okay.
I told him my right foot hurt, but I was okay.
He mentioned that he heard a crack and was afraid it was a bone.
It was just my free CD, which had stabbed into my left hand.
He kindly offered to help me up,
but I told him I wanted to sit for another moment.
[That was the trick part of my Halloween.]

Unfortunately, all the seating areas were marked as 'reserved'
so I ended up leaning against the bar for support
and ended up having a 6+ foot tall guy standing in front of me!

Things got better once the show began and Matt Nathanson took the stage.
This was my first time seeing him and I only knew a handful of his songs.
He was quite amusing. [And a bit naughty, too!]

He performed five songs and did a quick Q&A.
One of the songs he performed was called 'Little Victories'.
That one sealed the deal for me. I was now officially a Matt Nathanson fan!

So when it was announced that Matt would be signing autographs
and taking pictures after the show, I got in line!

As I waited for it to be my turn to meet Matt,
a thought came to my mind, and I knew just what I had to say to him....
"I literally fell for you!" 
I then briefly explained what happened to me.
He confided in me that he almost fell off the stage because it was so dark!
[Which made me feel better that I wasn't the only one having that problem.]

As we were talking the photographer was taking pictures of us.
Matt said to the photographer, "We were talking during those,
could you take some more without us talking?"
Wasn't that so sweet?


 I asked Matt if he could do a little favor for me
and he was more than happy to oblige.
So I recorded a special "shout out" message.
[Which didn't look quite this dark when I was recording it.]



I thanked him and picked up my bag to leave,
when he said, "So I'll see you later."
And he came over to me and gave me a big hug!
Awww!!! That was definitely my Halloween treat!

So in a nutshell...
Round Trip BART ticket: $10.00
Alice 97.3 CD: Free
Ace Bandage for hurt foot: $3.99
Meeting Matt Nathanson: PRICELESS!!!

[Oh, and yes, in case you were wondering,
it was Matt who was crossing the street next to me.]

No comments:

Post a Comment