Sunday, September 9, 2012

Matt Nathanson - Dallas 2011

Friday, September 23, 2011
Gexa Energy Pavilion, Dallas, Texas
Maroon 5 & Train with Special Guest Matt Nathanson

The reason I went...



Love, LOVE, LOVE Matt Nathanson!!!

I knew that since Matt was the opening act,
he'd probably only be performing for half an hour.
But, that's better than nothing....right?
[That would be an "Ohhhh....yeeeahhh!!!"]

Set List
Mercy
Dog Days Are Over [intro]
Pretty the World
Modern Love
Queen of [K]nots [with Tainted Love/Personal Jesus]
Laid
Room at the End of the World [with Losing My Religion]
Come On Get Higher
Faster

Matt sounded amazing and I loved the little 'bonus bits'
he included in a couple of songs.

Sadly, I had a ticket for lawn seating,
and for some crazy reason,
they didn't film Matt's performance
to be projected onto the big screens,
so this is what Matt looked like to me.



So I was BEYOND excited when Matt announced that he would
be out after the show for a meet & greet.

At first I thought [as did several others],
that he meant after his performance...
but it was after the entire show.



Waiting in line to meet Matt...which would explain the big smile! :)

I started getting a bit anxious, because the line was moving
slower than I thought it would. My sister was on her way
to pick me up and I didn't want her waiting too long all by
herself. [Because the Gexa Energy Pavilion is located in
a not-so-great part of town, if you know what I mean.]



As I got closer to the front of the line, I decided to test
my camera before it was my turn, because it doesn't
always work that great in the dark, so I used Matt as my test subject.

When it was finally my turn to 'meet and greet' with Matt,
I walked over to him and said, "Hi Matt!"
He greeted me with a smile and said "Hi! How are you doing?"
I told him how I just moved here from the Bay Area
and the show made me homesick!

Matt said, "This is just like San Francisco!"
We looked at each other for a few seconds and then laughed.
"No, it most definitely is not!" I said.

I told him how bummed I was that they didn't have
the screens working for his performance,
so he looked like just a blur to me.
"Yeah, I know...sorry!" he replied.

He asked me if I had something for him to sign.
I told him that I didn't bring a CD because it would be
like Sophie's Choice trying to decide which one,
so instead I brought this.... pulling out a photograph of us
when I met him on Halloween 2008.

He looked at it and said, "Aww...jeez!"













I told him that the shirt I was wearing is now
my 'lucky shirt' because I was also wearing it when
I met Hugh Jackman and John and Roger Taylor
of Duran Duran. Matt replied with "Right on!"
and gave me a high five!
He told me how he had recently sat next to John Taylor
while having breakfast in LA.
"Yeah, I know." I responded. [He had tweeted about it.]

Then we started having a discussion about John Taylor!
Matt said that John looks older than he thought, comparing
him to an English professor. I agreed that John looked older,
but still looks really good for his age!
[And that I've never had any teachers or professors
that looked anything like him!]

It was all just a bit surreal talking with one of my favorite musicians
about another favorite musician, whose pictures I had posted
all over my walls during my teenage years!
Definitely not one of your everyday run-of-the-mill conversations.

Then we posed for a picture.





















"Thanks for coming!" - Matt
"It was nice seeing you again!" -Me

 















[As I was leaving, I grabbed my camera and hit the wrong button
and got a picture of Matt's pants and shoes.
Which for some reason I found amusing,
which is why I kept it rather than deleting it.]

I found my little sister and thanked her profusely for waiting
a little longer for me so I could have this wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment